The Academic Renewal Policy is currently under review and revision by the University System of Georgia (USG). Updates to the University of West Georgia Academic Renewal Policy will be implemented shortly. Please check back for our revised policies in order to align with USG.
Current Academic Renewal Policy
Academic Renewal Policy
The Academic Renewal policy allows the University of West Georgia degree seeking students who earned less than a 2.00 cumulative grade point average at the University of West Georgia to have one opportunity to make a fresh start at UWG after an absence of five calendar years from any postsecondary institution.
1. Students may apply for Academic Renewal by turning in a completed Academic Renewal Application to the Enrollment Services Center.
2. All previously attempted coursework continues to be recorded on the student’s official transcript.
3. An Academic Renewal Grade Point Average is begun when the student resumes taking coursework following the five-year period of absence once Academic Renewal has been granted. The institution will place a statement on the student’s transcript indicating the Academic Renewal status and the beginning of a separate Academic Renewal GPA in addition to an overall UWG GPA.
4. The Academic Renewal GPA will be used for determining academic standing and eligibility for graduation. At least 50% (60 hours) of course work must be completed after the granting of academic renewal for a student to be eligible for graduation with honors.
5. Academic credit for previously completed coursework - including transfer coursework - will be retained only for courses in which an ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘C’, or ‘S’ grade was earned. Retained grades are not calculated in the Academic Renewal GPA, but are counted in Academic Renewal hours earned.
Academic Renewal for Transfer credit:
A. Suspended/dismissed students: a student who has been suspended or dismissed from UWG and has attended one or more System institutions during the period of suspension or dismissal will not be eligible for Academic Renewal.
B. Non-suspended/dismissed students: a student who has not been suspended or dismissed from UWG, but who has been absent from UWG five years or more and who has attended a school other than UWG may choose only one of the following options:
1. A student may return to UWG subject to all relevant transfer and reentry policies. No renewal GPA is calculated and transfer credit will be granted for applicable courses taken during the absence.
2. A student may apply for Academic Renewal. If Academic Renewal status is approved, no transfer credit will be granted for course work completed during the absence.
3. To earn a degree, a student must meet the University of West Georgia’s residency requirements. UWG will apply the retained hours earned prior to Academic Renewal toward the residency requirement.
4. All remaining courses for the current degree objective must be completed at UWG. No transient credit will be accepted.
5. A student can be granted Academic Renewal status only once.
6. Any previous notation of academic probation, suspension, and dismissal will remain recorded on the student’s transcript.
7. A student re-enrolling after an absence of five or more years must apply for Academic Renewal within three semesters of enrollment or within one calendar year, whichever comes first.
8. The Academic Renewal GPA begins with the first term following re-enrollment.
9. Admission or re-entry into any specific degree program (such as teacher education, nursing, business majors, selected majors in the College of Arts and Humanities, College of Science and Math, or College of Social Sciences) is not automatic. Admission criteria for specific programs are determined by the department where the program is housed.
10. The granting of Academic Renewal does not supersede financial aid policies regarding Satisfactory Academic Progress.
11. United States and Georgia history and constitution requirements and Regents’ Test scores met prior to the granting of academic renewal will remain on the student’s transcript even though the courses may not count in the Academic Renewal GPA or Academic Renewal hours earned.
重庆欢乐生肖官方网址 12. Students desiring to enroll must submit a letter explaining why they should be considered for Academic Renewal along with the Academic Renewal application.